Mushroom Overdose Look Like

Mushrooms are fascinating organisms. Some are delicious and nutritious, while others can be poisonous or even deadly. Unfortunately, the line between the two can be blurry, and accidental overdose can occur. Understanding the signs and symptoms of a mushroom overdose is crucial for seeking prompt medical attention and potentially saving lives.

Types of Mushroom Overdose

  1. Psychedelic mushroom overdose: This occurs when someone consumes too many psilocybin-containing mushrooms, leading to intense and potentially unpleasant physical and mental symptoms. While not life-threatening in itself, it can be a very uncomfortable experience.
  2. Poisoning from toxic mushrooms: This happens when someone ingests mushrooms containing toxins. These toxins can be highly dangerous and lead to severe illness or even death.

You May Also Read: Can you Smoke Shrooms?

Symptoms of a Psychedelic Mushroom Overdose:Risks of Magic Mushrooms

The symptoms of a psychedelic mushroom overdose can vary depending on the individual and the amount consumed. However, some common signs include:

  • Physical:

    • Nausea and vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Anxiety and panic attacks
    • Agitation
    • Muscle weakness
    • Poor coordination
    • Dizziness and lightheadedness
    • Dilated pupils
    • Increased heart rate and blood pressure
  • Psychological:

    • Panic attacks
    • Intense paranoia
    • Psychosis
    • Delusions
    • Hallucinations
    • Flashbacks
    • A “bad trip” experience
    • Feeling of loss of control
    • In rare cases, complete psychological breakdown

The effects of a psychedelic mushroom overdose typically last for several hours, although flashbacks can occur in some cases.

Symptoms of Poisoning from Toxic Mushrooms:

The symptoms of poisoning from toxic mushrooms can vary depending on the specific type of mushroom ingested. However, some general signs include:

  • Gastrointestinal:

    • Abdominal pain
    • Nausea and vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Liver and kidney damage
  • Muscular:

    • Muscle weakness
    • Muscle cramps
    • Rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of muscle tissue)
  • Neurological:

    • Seizures
    • Coma
    • Death
  • Other:

    • Slow heart rate
    • Excessive sweating
    • Low blood sugar
    • Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes)

The onset of symptoms from toxic mushrooms can vary from minutes to hours, depending on the type of mushroom ingested. Prompt medical attention is essential to prevent serious complications or death.

What to Do if You Suspect a Mushroom Overdose?

LSD vs. Mushrooms: Side Effects, Ingestion Methods, & More | Clearbrook  Pennsylvania

If you suspect someone has overdosed on psychedelic mushrooms or ingested toxic mushrooms, it’s crucial to act quickly. Here are the steps to take:

  • Call emergency services immediately: This is especially important if the person is unconscious, having seizures, experiencing difficulty breathing, or exhibiting any other severe symptoms.
  • Do not induce vomiting: Unless instructed by a medical professional, do not induce vomiting. This can worsen the situation and spread the toxin further.
  • Save the mushrooms: If possible, collect and save any remaining mushrooms. This can help medical professionals identify the type of mushroom and determine the best course of treatment.
  • Stay calm: While it can be a stressful situation, it’s important to stay calm and follow the instructions of medical professionals.

Prevention is Key:

The best way to avoid a mushroom overdose is to be cautious about what you consume. Here are some tips for preventing mushroom overdose:

  • Never eat wild mushrooms unless you are 100% certain they are safe. Only consume mushrooms purchased from reputable sources, such as grocery stores or farmers’ markets.
  • Learn how to identify common poisonous mushrooms. There are many resources available to help you learn about mushrooms, such as online guides, books, and mushroom identification apps.
  • If you are unsure about the identity of a mushroom, it is best to err on the side of caution and not eat it.
  • Store mushrooms properly to prevent them from spoiling. Spoiled mushrooms can contain toxins that can make you sick.
  • Be aware of the potential risks associated with using psychedelic mushrooms, and consider seeking professional guidance before using them.


Mushroom overdose can be a serious issue, with symptoms ranging from unpleasant to life-threatening. While psychedelic mushroom overdoses are generally not fatal, the intense psychological effects can be overwhelming and require medical attention. Poisoning from toxic mushrooms, on the other hand, can have severe and potentially fatal consequences.

By understanding the symptoms of different types of overdoses and taking appropriate preventative measures, you can significantly reduce the risk of experiencing this potentially harmful situation. Remember, when in doubt, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and avoid consuming any mushrooms you are unsure about.


How quickly does a mushroom overdose take effect?

The onset of symptoms from a mushroom overdose can vary depending on the type of mushroom ingested and the individual’s metabolism. Symptoms from psychedelic mushrooms typically begin within 30-60 minutes, while symptoms from toxic mushrooms can range from minutes to hours.

Can you die from a mushroom overdose?

Yes, it is possible to die from a mushroom overdose, particularly from ingesting toxic mushrooms. However, this is rare, and prompt medical attention can significantly reduce the risk of death.

What is the treatment for a mushroom overdose?

The specific treatment for a mushroom overdose will depend on the type of mushroom ingested and the severity of the symptoms. In most cases, supportive care, such as fluids and electrolytes, will be provided. In severe cases, medication or even dialysis may be necessary.

What should I do if I suspect someone has overdosed on mushrooms?

If you suspect someone has overdosed on mushrooms, call emergency services immediately. Do not induce vomiting, and if possible, save any remaining mushrooms for identification. Stay calm and follow the instructions of medical professionals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *