If you are planning to visit foreign countries in the near future, then the first thing you’d need is a passport. Whether it’s for a solo trip or a family vacation, or even for work or medical reasons, a valid passport is an essential document that you must have.
Though a passport does not necessarily guarantee your entry into a country, yet it is a prerequisite for traveling outside of your home country.
In addition, a passport is useful when proof of identity, age or address is required, and not just for travel. In this article, we will dig deeper into knowing how to apply for a passport and its renewal.
The passport application can be made online by visiting the official Passport Seva website. The Ministry of External Affairs has now submitted all passport applications online. Therefore, if you want to renew passport online or apply for passport, you will need to go through the online application process.
How to apply for a passport online?
When trying to apply for a passport online, there are a few steps an applicant needs to follow. The steps involved are detailed below:
Step 1: Log in to Passport Seva Online
- Visit the official Passport Seva website and click on the “APPLY” section
- If you are an existing user, you can log in by using user ID and password
- If you are new, you will need to register and create an account. Follow the steps below to register:
- Click “Register Now” by clicking this link. login and password Enter the captcha code and click on “Register”.
Step 2: Choose your application type
After logging in, you will need to choose the appropriate service from the options provided. You can choose to apply for one:
- New passport / Reissued passport
- Diplomatic passport / Official passport
- Police clearance certificate (PCC)
- Identity certificate
Step 3: Fill the application form
Filling the application form can be done online or offline. To complete the offline application form, please follow the steps below:
- Click on the link provided to download the soft copy of the application form.
- You will see a link to an electronic copy of the following forms: Download the corresponding form according to your type of request:
- New / Reissue
- Police clearance certificate
- Diplomat / Officer
- Identity certificate
- Complete the e-form and click on the link “Upload e-form”.
- Upload the completed application form.
- You can also fill the application form online and submit it.
Step 4: Schedule, Pay and Book an Appointment
Once the form has been submitted, your next task is to make an appointment at your Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or the nearest passport authority. You can make an appointment as follows:
- Go to the “Home page” and click “View saved / sent applications”.
- The info of the submitted application will be displayed. Choose the ARN of the form you’ve submitted.
- Click on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ option.
- Next, select the mode of payment as you may prefer from the two methods provided i.e. Challan payment and Online payment.
Scheduling the appointment
- On the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ page, choose the PSK of your choice.
- Choose a handy slot from the available dates mentioned. There, the applicant is needed to pick a PSK primarily based on the available date.
- Save your appointment slot via conforming the CAPTCHA code.
- Next, choose ‘Pay and Book the Appointment’ option
- Application info inclusive of ARN, name, contact number, kind of application, the amount that is to be paid, and the appointment date will be displayed.
- If you have selected to pay online, you’ll be redirected to the payment gateway.
- On successful completion of payment, you’ll obtain affirmation of the appointment and an appointment number. An SMS with the info may also be sent. Print a replica of the application receipt.
Passports Validity in India
The validity of an Indian passport is for 10 years from its date of issue.
An Indian passport may incorporate 36 or 60 pages in line with the desire of the holder. A passport holder needs to make sure that the passport is valid, and has not expired, with the intention to keep availing the advantages of the passport. When a passport expires, the passport holder may also renew the same at the Passport Seva Portal. The portal facilitates the residents of India to seamlessly carry out any obligations with regards to their passport application online with ease.
Online Application for Renewal of Passport
Below we have defined the steps to be observed if you want to put up your application for the renewal of your passport at the Passport Seva portal.
- Step 1: Visit the professional internet site of Passport Seva Online.
- Step 2: Click at the hyperlink Existing User? Login icon.
- Step 3: Now, you have to click on the Apply for fresh passport/ Re-issue of passport tab.
- Step 4: Next, fill the Form available at the portal.
- Step 5: Review all of the records which you have entered earlier than filing the Form. This info can’t be modified later, and you may want to begin once more if there are errors.
- Step 6: Click on the choice to View Saved/ Submitted Application with a view to schedule an appointment.
Note: You may also schedule an appointment through clicking at the Schedule Appointment tab. Next, you want to choose an available slot that’s handy for you.
- Step 7: Online payment is obligatory for booking appointments on the Passport Seva Kendra.
- Step 8: Complete the payment method via any of the standard modes of fee payment.
- Step 9: If net banking isn’t accessible for you, you can print an offline challan and make the payment at any SBI Branch. The bank will take upto 2 days to confirm the payment of the fee.
- Step 10: After you have finished the application procedure, click on the Print Application Receipt tab. This receipt could comprise all of the important info alongside the Application Reference Number.
After the appointment is scheduled, the person should visit the passport office at the particular date and time. One may also even display the SMS that they have obtained as a proof of appointment.
Ensure not to overlook the appointment as if missed, one will need to re-apply for an appointment throughout again.