Everything You Need to Know About Data Recovery from Memory Card
A pop-up box asks a question. You click “OK” without paying much attention. This “OK” will be followed by an “Uh-oh” as you realize that you agreed to delete photos from your memory card that you hadn’t backed up. This has happened to even the best of us. It may so happen that while deleting unwanted images you end up deleting the ones you wanted too. Or, maybe you formatted the card only to realize that you hadn’t backed up the data.
Are the photos gone forever? Is there no way to recover them now? Don’t worry. Deletion doesn’t necessarily imply that the photos are permanently lost.
There are ways you can employ to recover deleted photos from sd card. But before that, it is vital to understand how a memory card stores images.
How Does a Memory Card Manage and Store Data?
Each memory card has a controller and a flash memory chip. The controller is the interface between the chip and the device to which it will be connected to, such as a camera, laptop, etc. The flash memory chip is the real storage location of the data.
Every time you write something in the memory card, the controller instructs the flash memory to store it in a specific location.
What happens when you delete a file? The data gets deleted along with the pointer referring to the storage space allocated to the file or photo. The storage space is declared as available. Now, a new file can be stored in this location.
Note that this is different from formatting. Formatting removes all the data from the flash memory, including the directories. It further removes the fragmentation. Your card is fresh, like a new card after this process.
The principal difference between the two processes is that it is easier to retrieve files or photos that have been erased when compared to those that are lost due to formatting.
How to Recover Deleted Photos from SD Card?
Whether you deleted the photo by mistake or due to formatting, recovering it is an easy task with the Stellar photo recovery software. Download the photos recovery software and follow these simple steps.
- Launch the software by double-clicking on the icon.
- Select the type of file that is to be recovered. You can select all multimedia. Or you can choose to recover any combination of photos, audio files, and video files.
- Select the location from where you want to recover the files.
- The software scans the memory card for all the deleted files that can be recovered and displays them.
- You can view them as file type, tree view, or deleted lists. You can preview the files to verify the ones that you want to be restored.
- If you cannot find the photos that you are looking for, try the ‘Deep Scan’ option. It performs a thorough search and should show all of the deleted files.
- Select the required files and click on the ‘Recover’ button.
- Choose a location where the recovered files should be saved.
If you have formatted the file or if some other damage is preventing the software from fully recovering the deleted photos, you can request for a data recovery service from Stellar. The service starts with a free consultation followed by a paid device analysis and data recovery. Stellar provides a list of files that can be recovered and performs the recovery after receiving your confirmation. This is a more specialized service and may be needed in extreme cases.
Precautions to Be Taken
Retrieving the deleted photos is simple with Stellar Photo Recovery software or services. However, there are a few precautions you can take to avoid this situation.
- The instant you realize that you have deleted a photo or a file accidentally, stop all activities on the memory card. Do not try to add new photos to the storage device. It can overwrite the data at the location from where the file was deleted and make the retrieval difficult.
- Always back up your data in at least one more location. Even if you are careful about deleting the photos, storage devices degrade over time. Having additional copies of the data reduces the chances of their loss.
Stop Worrying About Deleted Photos
The precautions mentioned above should prevent any unexpected deletions or corruption of the photos. Even if a file gets deleted, you need not worry.
Recovering a lost file is no longer a Herculean task. It is remarkably simple to recover the lost photos. A few clicks and you are done! With the advent of deleted photo recovery software, none of your images is ever truly lost.
Stellar is one of the pioneers in data recovery services with a presence in 15 locations across the globe. Starting out its operations in 1993 (25 years ago), it has served more than 3 million customers with 100% secure and confidential data recovery services. Recognized and awarded for outstanding services in the IT industry, Stellar has become the first and foremost choice of various Fortune 500 companies.